Monday, March 14, 2011

Colorful...Turning a House into a Home.

There used to be a show on when my brothers were little....littler, around when they were 2 or 3 called Rollie Pollie Ollie. I don't know if this show is still on but I remember watching it and thinking what a cool house they lived in, it was so colorful! So... realistically, it was not a pretty house, it was out of control. Too many colors, too many patterns, too much in general.

BUT, I have always liked color, pattern, uniqueness. Luckily I've married a man who trusts me with decorating decisions. When I told him I wanted to paint the front room yellow he did even blink. When we started painting the front room yellow and it looked like a lime yellowish green... he still trusted my opinion. When the paint dried and looked like a rich sunflower, I think he was relieved (that it didn't stay that other awful color). I painted the kitchen a ... 1950's Chevy Blue. It's great. I love it. Carl didn't complain about the color, even though I didn't ask his opinion and painted that room while he was gone hiking the Grand Canyon.

Slowly our house is coming together. Slowly things are fitting in their place. Slowly things are taking on their style. Slowly I am falling in love with it all. We accented the front yellow room with red and brown. I love it. The kitchen is bright fresh colors, blue, and white. With a nice black fridge. I love it.

The problem is in between these rooms is our... dinning room/office/walk through room. You can see this room fully from the kitchen, and the living room. You have to walk through it to get to either. It's very visible. So the problem was coming up with the color for this room. I was very anxious to paint it, to choose the color, to get started on decorating, putting things on the walls. Making it more homey. But I couldn't quite decide.

Finally, finally I chose. I chose brown. It goes well with the yellow, and the blue. It ties the room all together. It ties all three rooms together nicely. We've painted one wall a solid dark brown. The other three walls have dark brown on the bottom with light brown on top, we will put a chair rail in the center. I love it.
I love that I have a husband who spent his whole day before work today painting the dinning room. Moving his desk around. Moving things around. He finished painting that whole room for me. What a great man. What a great man who helps me put my ideas into place. What a great man who helps me make our house into our home. I know it's a lot of change for him. But I love our home. I love what it's turning into.

And someday... I'll upload pictures. Someday.

P.S. I do realize that the rollie pollie ollie thing is ridiculous. :) Don't worry.

1 comment: